Monday, October 31, 2011

Daddy Sang Bass

Becky is constantly singing tuneful, warm, and fun songs to Henry. He loves it and responds with smiles, giggles, and cooing. Aside from having an excellent voice, Becky is consistently able to remember the words correctly to a given song. I am not so fortunate, though I never let my forgetfulness slow me down. If I don't remember the words precisely, I just make up something close that rhymes with a previous line and also incorporate "Henry" into the lyrics. It makes for some very silly songs, but everyone seems to be having fun.

At times I do need to actually sing a song correctly, which makes for some truly random selections. "Ragtime Cowboy Joe" gets sung a great deal, albeit with "Henry" replacing "Joe" and Wyoming or Alaska replacing Arizona. Henry loves this song because I bounce him on my knee to capture the beat and horse riding mood.

The home run of songs I sing is becoming the camp song from my Boy Scout summer camp in MI -- The Owasippe Hymn. I like the beat to it and it's very easy to remember so I gave it a whirl yesterday and Henry just went over the moon. I sang it in a deep bass voice and he cooed along with the entire way. I assume his response was because he could feel the deep bass as I held him close. If bass is what he likes, Johnny Cash and the Owasippe songs are what he will get.

No comments:

Post a Comment